Welcome to West Marin Fund’s Women & Girls’ Empowerment program. As a community foundation, we seek to enhance the long-term wellbeing and quality of life for all in coastal West Marin. We believe that our communities are more vibrant when all members have the opportunities they need to thrive and participate fully in community life.
For this round of grants, we invite applications from organizations and groups that are addressing women and girls’ empowerment in West Marin. We recognize the important role of nonprofits and local communities that make a difference in the lives of people who live, work and visit in West Marin.
To submit an application, you must complete all required sections and upload all required documents.
Please ensure that you carefully review the information on this page prior to submitting your application.
If you have any questions regarding your application and the required supporting documents, please contact us well in advance of the deadline so that we can provide you with the support you need to submit your application on time.
Applications must be submitted online by 5:00pm on Tuesday, April 9, 2019.
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019 – online submission deadline
- Friday, May 31, 2019 – notification of decision, grants disbursed
- March 31, 2020 – grant expended, activities completed
- June 30, 2020 – final report due
“We can choose to be a character in a story written out by someone else or we can choose to be the author of our own story.” – Ruby Garcia
“I raise up my voice – not so I can shout, but so those without a voice can be heard…we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
Purpose & Approach
The proposed grants are intended to support women & girls’ empowerment in ways that:
- Strengthen female expertise and leadership of nonprofits that serve West Marin and its communities
- Increase opportunities, and rights for women & girls who live, work and visit in West Marin
- Encourage the participation of organizations and individuals to identify and address inequities and discrimination faced by women and girls in West Marin
- Be a registered 501(c)(3) organization
- Have women in leadership positions (as board members, executive staff, volunteer leaders)
- Demonstrate that its work supports the empowerment of women and girls who live, work and visit in West Marin
Need to show that they
- Have a stated plan and goals for addressing specific issues
- Have responsible fiscal management and adequate accounting procedures
- Have a track record of realizing change
- Benefit more than a handful of persons
West Marin Fund does not fund the following
- Colleges and universities
- Debt reduction
- Disaster relief outside the Bay Area
- Government agencies
- Organizations that have not submitted a report that is due on a previous grant
- Political organizations and political purposes. This includes lobbying activities, to influence legislators or voters on specific, pending legislation; and participation or intervention in an election campaign that expresses a view in support or opposition to a candidate for public office
- Programs or equipment that were paid for prior to the grant proposal period
- Religious organizations unless it is for activities that benefit the entire community, regardless of religious affiliation
$8,000-$10,000 for 12 months. Please give careful thought to your organization’s ability to carry out the proposed activities should you not receive the full amount requested.
Organizations receiving a grant for the empowerment of women & girls in West Marin will be invited to attend two half-day meetings during the grant period in order to share learnings and increase impact.
Please use the template provided to give the projected expenses and income for the activities to be funded. You may include costs for consultant hire, improvements in communications and information technologies, as well as staff and board trainings, if they are essential to the purpose of the grant. You may include a contribution towards salaries of staff who are directly involved in implementing the proposed activities. Once the Subtotal of Proposed Activities Expenses has been calculated, an amount not exceeding 10% of the subtotal may be included for your organization’s general administration costs.
Duration and Reporting
If awarded a grant, your organization will be expected to use the funds within 12 months. If a longer period is required, please specify the period required and indicate the reasons for this in your application. Final reports are due four weeks after the end of the grant period, with a clear accounting of expenditures and a short description of use, impact and lessons learned.
Preparing Your Application
For your convenience in drafting your proposal, the narrative questions are available for download in advance.
Saving Your Content
The online application form will automatically save your information as you enter it. It will do so even if you move back and forth between the various sections of the form during a single work session. However, if you fill in your application during several work sessions, you will need to click on the button called “save and continue later” that appears at the bottom of the page. When doing so, please be sure to note the instructions that will allow you to regain access to your application.
In all cases, you must respond to all the required questions. When you have completed your application and are ready to submit it, you must click submit to ensure it is submitted rather than just saved.
Submitting Your Application
After ensuring all required questions are completed, click submit to send your application to West Marin Fund. Your “contact person” will then receive an email with a copy of your application and uploaded documents. We will notify you if we require anything further and/or have any questions regarding your application.
Selection Process & Schedule
All applications are reviewed and assessed by the Grants Review Committee of West Marin Fund according to selection criteria of the Women & Girls’ Empowerment Program.. The Committee makes grant recommendations to the Board of Directors of West Marin Fund who make their final decisions taking into account the availability of funds at the time.
All applicants will be informed of the Board’s decision by May 31, 2019. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.