In August 2020, the West Marin Fund conducted an online survey of fifty West Marin nonprofits. The following results were compiled and analyzed by a local nonprofit consulting firm, Mission Met.
- The total workforce (employees and volunteers) of West Marin nonprofits dropped by 33% during the first half of 2020.
- 96% of the survey respondents either cut at least one program, canceled at least one program or event, reconfigured a program or event, or closed a facility.
- Over 50% of the resp`ondents reported a decrease in effectiveness and impact.
- West Marin’s smallest nonprofits are being disproportionately impacted by COVID compared to larger nonprofits.
- Moving forward the two biggest challenges that these nonprofits are facing in response to COVID are adapting programs and raising funds.
- Funding from the federal Paycheck Protection Program was acquired by 54% of the qualifying nonprofits, helping to defer COVID’s impact.